seems the locale is not defined correctly in SliTaz 3.0
First we check
root@toshiba:/home/ross# locale -a
If things are undefined we can do this
root@toshiba:/home/ross# localedef -i en_US -f UTF-8 en_US
I run a separate /home partition on the Toshiba (on all my installs) so I retain my data if/when I blow away the root / partitions. So in this case I installed SliTaz and added back my users with adduser but they couldn’t login with Slim with Slim reporting various errors in /var/log/slim.log
Fix as follows:-
You’ll need bash for this to handle the .config files etc.
$ su -
# cp /root/.xinitrc /home/<user>
# shopt -s dotglob
# cp -r /etc/skel/* /home/<user>
# chown -R <user>:<user> /home/<user>
That should allow the login to work. If not then check back with the log file in /var/log/slim.log looking for stuff around .xinitrc not working etc. (ie you can probably ignore the EE errors of X)
As mentioned in my previous post I was having trouble with Kernel 220.127.116.11 shipped by default with SliTaz 3.0 so here is a procedure to compile a recent kernel 18.104.22.168 which seemed to work better for me.
First we need to get the build dependencies
tux@slitaz:~/kernel/linux-22.214.171.124$ su -
root@slitaz:~# tazpkg get-install slitaz-toolchain
root@slitaz:~# tazpkg get-install ncurses-dev
root@slitaz:~# tazpkg get-install perl
Now get the kernel source
Well, here is my second issue. I needed the kernel module for a Prism chipset WiFi card for a friend under SliTaz. Unfortunately it not included out of the box. No problems I think I’ll just build a new kernel with one in and either pass along directions or a .tar.gz of the relevant modules built on the same spec.
Break out the trusty VM and see how we go. Well not as good as I would like. A couple of issues to resolve but then I got into a tight spot where there seemed to be a few issues with the make files for 2.6.30-4-slitaz that was installed from the package manager. A bit of browsing/Googling seemed to indicate there were a few patches around lzma and the make files of various modules. In short it looked horrible and I decided to go with the latest and greatest kernel source from http://kernel.org. After I did a headstand to read the page I downloaded and built kernel 2.6.33-1 and turned on the necessary module bits for the Prism chipset (hostap).
I’ll post details of the process a little later
So I’ve been laid up for a couple of weeks now post an op (ACDF) and have some spare time on my hands:-
As I’m want to do these days I fire up the ISO in VirtualBox to see how well it is put together and was pleased with the initial presentation. SliTaz bring a basic desktop that is light weight enough for the old Toshiba (PIII 500MHz, 192Mb RAM).
Doing a basic install to a spare partition I had left over from playing with Google OS (which aint ready yet 😦 ) I was up and running in no time. Pleased to see that X worked straight out the box which seems to fail on most other recent Distros out there.
Wireless is the first issue that needed to be resolved. Using the configuration dialogs seemed to scramble my WPA key and I had to manually edit the file /etc/network.conf to set the WPA key with some “special” characters esacped. e.g. “$l!T@z” would need to become “\$l\!T\@z” or some such.
Setting to fastboot in /etc/rcS.conf and installing Google Chrome via the package manager and the trusty old Toshiba boots to the desktop in 23 seconds (with me typing in the credentials) and runs Chrome like a charm.
I think I may have found the O/S for the Toshiba. Boots fast, has enough apps to make it very workable, they are all lightweight so it runs well on the old machine, Wireless works well now that I got the WPA key entered correctly and last but not least the included packages seem to be well thought out too.